By Emma Dunbar
Fall is my favorite time of the year! I love the weather, the leaves changing colors, and all the cute comfy clothes I get to wear. The season of Thanksgiving is such a special time to me. We are able to get together with family, share stories over a delicious home cooked meal, and whatever else our family likes to share. We can see family that lives far from us and indulge in food without caring about how many pounds we are putting on. We get to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade and enjoy lots of football.
While Thanksgiving has come and gone, I think one of the most important things in this world is to find things to be thankful for whenever we can. Many times we go about our days and don’t even recognize all the things God has done that we should be giving thanks for. We as humans can sometimes simply expect those things to happen and not remember to shift our focus to thanking Him for providing for us. So this year, I want to be more intentional in thanking Him for this life and the things He has freely given.
Truly, everything that has been given to me is a blessing by God, and that I should be thanking Him for on a daily basis. My hope is the things I am thankful for will help turn your hearts toward being grateful, and giving thanks to our great and gracious Father too:
- Family – my family is very close. We were home schooled growing up and that made us very close knit. I look at other people who have not had a good home life and it hurts me because everyone deserves to grow up with parents who support them and provide for them. So that is something I am very very thankful for.
- Friends – God has blessed with some friends who mean the world to me. I am not the type of girl to have 20 “best friends” but rather I have two to three very close friends who I can count on at any time to be there for me and for that I am thankful.
- Church – In today’s society there are some churches that don’t make people feel welcome and they aren’t inviting and that leads many away from them. There are other churches that are VERY welcoming…that scares me too (ha ha). Then there are churches that do the perfect amount of “welcoming” to make someone feel loved and wanted at the church and that’s the kind of church I go to. I grew up going to church my whole life and there’s something special about it. I have grown friendships and have met people I never would have met if it wasn’t for church.
- Job – Even if it’s hard some days and you just want to walk out, you have to be thankful that you have a job where you are making money and making a living. But, if you don’t love what you are doing, you should find something else because if you don’t love your job, you won’t put in the effort and make yourself great at it. I have found this in one of my jobs before so I left and went to find something better and I did! I found a job in retail where I made friendships with my co-workers and I have been there for over a year now.
- Boyfriend – I am so thankful for Morgan. He has been one of the biggest blessings in my whole life! I cannot express the joy that he brings me and how he makes me a better person on a daily basis. You never know what God is up to when He ends one relationship just to lead you to a whole new one that will change your life for the better. He did exactly that for me with Morgan.
- Car – This is something that I definitely take for granted. I have never been without a car and I have no idea how I would make it. I think we take for granted the things that are given to us and we don’t have to experience life without them. Having a car is definitely one of those things for me.
- Food – This is something that I also take for granted. We say our prayer before meals and thank God for providing it for us, but often times we just dig right in and forget to thank Him for this supply of food that we are so very blessed to have.
- Mentor – My mentor is someone who I am so so thankful for. She has helped turn my life around for the better and I couldn’t imagine where my life would be today had I never met her. If you don’t have a mentor, I highly suggest it!
- Clothes – Do you realize how many people in this world don’t have enough clothing to keep them warm in the winter? A lot! That is sad. I could definitely be more thankful for the clothing that I do have to keep me warm and not go cold.
- God – How many of us forget to thank God for being Himself? I know I do! I thank Him for everything else or I ask Him for things that I could never achieve on my own, and yet I forget to thank Him for being Him. I forget to thank Him for giving His son to save all of us. I could definitely use some work in this area as well.
This is just a list of general things that I am thankful for. I could go into more detail, but I think this is a good start! I encourage you to write your own list of 10 things that you are thankful for this year and really express your thankfulness to God. You could even write a thank you card to those who have helped you make it this far in life and just encourage them that they are a blessing to you and those around them. Also, Christmas is fast approaching but if we can carry the Thanksgiving spirit into it, we may have a different experience this year.